SUBSCRIBE! {Don't Miss a Post}

BOOK REVIEW :: The Confessional Heart Of A Man by GPA


I received my copy of this book of poetry at the audition taping for the reality poetry competition, Urban Griot. I have since read it 3 times; carrying it with me in my purse to continue reading whenever I had a spare moment…

“Forgive my crass interaction…” The Greatest Poet Alive (GPA) writes in the poem Stranger from his book , The Confessional Heart Of A Man. However, he makes no apologies for his frank and at times explicitly detailed collection of poetry. Not for the faint of heart, this book is one filled with passion and emotion bound to take the reader on a unique journey. Love and heartbreak, of course. But one will find that this book of poetry sets its own rules and stretches far beyond the typical topics. Take this descriptive excerpt from A Dopefiend’s Thoughts for example:


…The odors perpetuate a den of antiquity


A scary thought runs razor sharp rapidly


that these individuals are right next to me…


like waiting in line for soon to be sold out tickets…


so consumed with my mission


that I have scarcely noticed the advent of night…


hoping that my patience and perseverance brings me a gem…


Here, GPA crafts a vivid picture of a drug addict in anticipation of getting his next high. As you read, you can see night time approach, feel the restlessness of the addict, and the anxiety of all the others around him. The detail doesn’t stop there - True to the title of the book, each page reads like a private journal full of heartfelt confessions. GPA’s writing style is a creative mix of rhyme, free verse, shape poetry and more. Through this work he narrates life from the perspective of a parent, a spouse, a convict, a bully, a lover, a child, and adulterer, to name a few. So varied are the voices he writes in, you might recognize your own story in his lines…What are your confessions?

Read for yourself. Enjoy.

No comments: